Monday, May 14, 2012

Bush-Whacking with Owen

Owen wanted to take me hiking for Mother's Day; the boy knows what I like. We had a wonderful time as usual but had a crazy experience. 

While walking he asked me why we walk on paths. I told him that when you don't stay on the path it is called bush-whacking and it is exactly that, you have to whack bushes and sticks and more out of your way. While we were exploring the creek area, Owen crossed it and then decided he wanted to bush-whack up the side of the very steep hill. 

Always up for an adventure, we went. He made it about halfway up the steep hill, about an angle of 20 degrees. The dogs followed but Chester did look at us like we were crazy. While up there Owen discovered a very large millipede. Great find!

Then we had to make out way down. I taught Owen how to scoot and slide down. I got my self to a tree where I could stop Owen and try to get him down to the next level. Owen got nervous and decided he was not ready for that and scampered back up the hillside. So I followed him and decided to walk on the hill longer and then go down at an easier spot. It was a lot of sliding down but tons of fun. He still talks about it. 

At the end of the hike there are two huge logs and we found a little red headed lizard in one of the holes. We got to watch him for a long time, he moved all around in the hole and even stuck his tongue out a couple times. 

Thanks for my wonderful and memorable gift Owen!

Finding a millipede in a leaf pile

The millipede

On the Hillside

That is the steep hill down to the creek

Sliding Down

Little Lizard
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment