Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Chloe, the Rare Case

Since Chloe was diagnosed with cancer two years ago her oncologist has always deemed her the rare case. Why? Because when they determined it was cancer, we opted to do the MRI which is supposed to be 95% accurate. Well it wasn't able to decipher what type. So then we did the bone marrow test, which again about 95% accurate. Guess what, was not able to determine what type of cancer. So she treated it as best she could with her best guess of what type of cancer, a plasma cell tumor. Well two months ago I took Chloe in for her routine blood test and her globulins were up. This number usually indicates that the chemo is not working anymore and the cancer is out of remission. You can imagine what this news did to me. I have been thinking about all I can do for Chloe before it gets really bad again. So this morning Chloe had her appointment with the oncologist (something we do twice a year) and she informed me that either the cancer is out of remission or the spike in her globulins are due from a tick-borne disease. She told me it is more likely that the cancer is returning, mainly that she has been on the lowest form of chemo for two years. I opted to get the extra blood test to see if it was the tick. And what do you know? She shows traces of erhlichiosis, a tick-borne disease treats by antibiotics. I am grateful for the expertise of the oncologist, to even consider that it could be something else before going to the next, much harder chemo treatment. I had the biggest smile on my face leaving there today. Chloe, is my lucky, rare case dog. So we will continue with her current chemo treatment with an additional antibodies for the disease and check her in 6 weeks to confirm that the disease is gone and there is no other issues. Looking forward to lots more Chloe snuggles.

3 comments:

  1. What good news! I will keep Chole in my thoughts & prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness! It is like an early Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete