Sunday, July 26, 2009

Potty Trained

Monday morning I woke up and decided being we had no plans let's start to really potty trained. With no real set plan I played it by ear. We started the day off naked while in the house and in undies while outside. But on Tuesday he really did not want to be naked, so undies all the time it was. I will do a rundown on our days but over all this is what we did: undies all day, undies and pull-up that I really don't think he knew he had on while we were out, pull-up for nap, night time diaper at night (I am just not brave enough for sleep yet). He gets one treat after he goes potty, which he has chosen as Hershey kisses (smart boy). I had planned on doing a timer but just never did instead I tell him the next time we are going potty, so like before lunch we are going to go potty. This way he knows the next time to expect a potty break. I must say it has all gone a lot easier than I ever imagined. Owen has really caught on and is so excited about going on the potty. Some times he doesn't even ask to get a treat, so we are only giving one when he asks now to hopefully stop that at some point. We are very proud of our undie wearing little boy.

Mon: Lots of mess. He would do okay if I could catch him in time.
Tues: Not so bad, a couple wet undies, lots of pee in potty
Wed: Dry all day!!! Poop in undies. He even peed on Luke's potty while we were out. Dry even when we were out in the afternoon.
Thurs: Dry all day!!! Same as Wed and dry after nap
Fri: Dry all day!!! Are you noticing a trend? We did have one accident but more my fault, just too much going on after coming home from pool to make him stay on potty. Really noticed this day he was concentrating on going when needed. Same as Thurs
Sat: Dry all day!!! Even with out in the morning and afternoon. And...get ready....he pooped on the potty all on his own. Major success!
Sun: Once again dry all day! And yes another poop on the potty. WooHoo!!! He even woke this morning and had a dry night diaper (which is usually super full)

So next steps, we need to get him to tell us when he needs to go potty but for now we will maintain a potty time. I will now stop putting pull-up on over his undies while out. Maybe next week some time I will not use pull-ups during nap, but once again scared to mess with sleep. Overall it has been a very positive experience, and just think Owen was truly ready. Very proud of Owen.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah OWen! I wouldn't rush the nap one either... My kids were easy like this too, and it just happened that I stopped reminding them and they started going. As long as he is waiting to go until you tell him it is potty time, that is great!! Pretty soon he will be telling you:) And super score with the #2. That can get messy quick!

    ReplyDelete